Entries Open for 2023 National Standardbred Yearling Sale
4 July 2022
Entries for NZB Standardbred’s 2023 National Yearling Sale are now open, with the Sale taking place next summer in Auckland on Sunday 19 February and Christchurch from Monday 20 to Wednesday 22 February.
Since entering the market four years ago, New Zealand Bloodstock’s standardbred subsidiary has evolved significantly. The 2022 Sale saw NZB Standardbred overcome the challenges of having no overseas buyers present for the second consecutive year, while also operating the Sale as a closed event due to COVID-19 restrictions. Despite these obstacles, the majority of key sale indicators continue to increase each year of selling.
- The 2022 National Yearling Sale aggregate of $14,753,000 was an NZB Standardbred sale record and an increase of $1.4 million on last year’s figure despite the sale operating as a closed event
- The 2022 edition saw thirty-two yearlings purchased for an amount of $100,000 or more
- NZB Standardbred has seen a sustained increase in average and median year on year, with 2022’s median of $38,750 up 29% on 2021’s median
- NZB Standardbred’s robust online bidding platform accounted for more than $1.1 million of 2022’s total aggregate
NZB Standardbred Manager Cam Bray anticipates another solid four days of trade at next year’s National Yearling Sale.
“It has been a whirlwind and successful four years hosting New Zealand’s premier standardbred sale. We are committed to evolving to achieve the best sales results possible and look forward to accommodating another top-class edition of yearlings in 2023.”
“After the dominant performances by kiwi-bred horses and our small but successful pool of graduate results achieved to date, it is no wonder owners and trainers continue to flock to our Sale for good racing stock.
“While we have seen our international buyers easily participate and purchase in user-friendly online bidding over the last two years, nothing beats having buyers physically back on the grounds at Karaka and Canterbury Agricultural Park.
“We anticipate their return and with the help of our consignors, they will have plenty of quality stock to inspect, as well as a brand new DoubleTree by Hilton Karaka hotel to stay in,” Bray said.
Nominations for the Sale are open now and close at 5PM on Friday 29 July 2022. To nominate your yearlings for the 2023 National Standardbred Yearling Sale, visit NZB Standardbred’s online portal at standardbred.portal.nzb.co.nz. For enquiries, contact Grant Inglis (+64 3 260 3424 or email [email protected]). NZB Standardbred has put together full instructions on how to use the online portal here.
- Auckland Sale of Pacers & Trotters: Sunday 19 February 2023
- Christchurch Sale of Trotters: Monday 20 February 2023
- Christchurch Sale of Pacers: Tuesday 21 February 2023
- Christchurch Sale of Pacers: Wednesday 22 February 2023