Kiwi Standardbreds Dominate Australasian Turf
9 September 2021
For decades, New Zealand-bred standardbreds have performed at an elite level on the world stage, demonstrating their strength, stamina and Group One-winning abilities in both hemispheres.
In recent seasons, NZB Standardbred’s very own graduates have added to that lineage of success, dominating on racetracks across Australasia.
Featured below is a seasonal review of the outstanding accolades achieved by the New Zealand standardbred.
NZB Standardbred Graduates
- With the oldest just three years of age, NZB Standardbred graduates claimed 14 G1 wins and 27 stakes wins in the 2020-21 season.
- A source of classic winners, NZB Standardbred graduates won seven Derbys across Australasia last season.
- Showing early talent, two-year-olds purchased from NZB claimed six G1 and eight stakes races in the 2020-21 season.
- Trans-Tasman G1 winner American Dealer (NZ) cost just $23,000 and has since won over A$305,000 – almost 14 times his purchase price at NZB Standardbred’s National Yearling Sale.
Australia and New Zealand – Both Gaits
- New Zealand-bred horses claimed 51% of all eligible stakes races in Australia and New Zealand combined last season.
- 67 eligible G1 races were won by New Zealand-bred standardbreds in Australasia last season.
- During the 2020-21 season, kiwi horses claimed 33% of all eligible G1 races in Australia (both gaits).
- New Zealand-bred horses defended 100% of all Stakes races in New Zealand last season, claiming all 39 G1 pacing and trotting races on the calendar.
- New Zealand-bred pacers won 54% of all eligible G1 pacing races in Australasia during the 2020-21 season.
- NZ standardbreds claimed 51% of all eligible Australasian pacing Stakes races last season.
- 40% of all eligible Australian pacing Stakes races were won by kiwi horses during the 2020-21 season.
- New Zealand-bred trotters won 33% of all eligible G1 trotting races in Australia during the 2020-21 season.
- Kiwi horses were responsible for 52% of all eligible trotting stakes races in Australasia last season.
- Seven individual NZ-bred trotters won nine Group One features last season in Australia, including three Group One wins for champion trotter Majestic Man.
NZB Standardbred’s upcoming 2022 National Yearling Sale will feature a standout crop of youngsters destined to add to the success of their previous alumni.
NZB Sales Representative Cam Bray, who has been busy inspecting catalogued yearlings over the last few months, commented on the pool of talent set to hit the grounds at Karaka and Canterbury Agricultural Park next February.
“So far, our team has been very impressed by the yearlings we have inspected to-date.”
“The quality found in the paddocks around New Zealand is a testament to our fertile pastures and expert preparation carried out by kiwi horsemen and women, a process that begins long before the foals hit the ground.
“The sound environment our horses grow up in is reflected by the prolific results they continue to achieve year after year on race tracks across the globe.
“We look forward to releasing another standout catalogue late November to showcase these yearlings to potential buyers around the world,” Bray said.
NZB Standardbred Sales Calendar
Auckland Parade of Pacers & Trotters: Saturday 12 February 2022
Auckland Sale of Pacers & Trotters: Sunday 13 February 2022
Christchurch Parade & Sale of Trotters: Monday 14 February 2022
Christchurch Parade & Sale of Pacers: Tuesday 15 February 2022
Christchurch Parade & Sale of Pacers: Wednesday 16 February 2022