Buy NZ Bred
Winning In Numbers
Ask anyone in the business and they’ll tell you the performance of the New Zealand standardbred both here and across the ditch is enviable. With both pacing and trotting horses raiding the Australian treasure chest, buyers will seek to secure their next champion from New Zealand’s pool of rich bloodstock.
Here we’ve highlighted some of the key achievements of the breed during the 2019-2020 season:
Australia & New Zealand - Both Gaits
- New Zealand bred horses claimed more than half (56%) of all eligible stakes races in Australia and New Zealand combined last season.
- In total 182 of the eligible 327 Stakes races in Australasia last season were won by horses bred in New Zealand.
- 39 eligible Group One races were won by New Zealand bred standardbreds in Australasia last season.
- Kiwi standardbreds triumphed in 31% of all Stakes races in Australia last season.
- During the 2019-20 season, kiwi horses claimed 51% of all eligible Group One races in Australia (both gaits).
- Last season, New Zealand was the leading source of eligible Group One winners in Western Australia, Victoria and Queensland (both gaits).
- In Victoria, NZ standardbreds claimed an impressive 63% of all Group One eligible features.
- Kiwi horses won 53% of all eligible Stakes races in Western Australia last season, 53% in Queensland, and 35% in Victoria.
- New Zealand-bred horses defended 97% of all Stakes races in New Zealand last season, claiming a total of 15 out of the 16 Group One pacing and trotting races on the calendar.
- New Zealand-bred pacers won 49% of all eligible Group One pacing races in Australia during the 2019-20 season.
- 44% of all eligible Australian pacing Stakes races were won by Kiwi horses during the 2019-20 season.
- Half (50%) of all eligible Group One pacing races in Western Australia were won by kiwi horses last season.
- 41% of all eligible Group One pacing races in NSW last season were won by horses bred in New Zealand.
- Half (50%) of all eligible Group One pacing features in NSW, VIC and WA were won by New Zealand horses during the 2019-20 season.
- 13 individual New Zealand-bred pacers won 17 Group One features in Australia last season, including King of Swing claiming a hatrick of Group Ones. Dr Susan and Line Up also claimed dual Group One races.
- New Zealand-bred trotters won 58% of all eligible Group One trotting races in Australia during the 2019-20 season.
- Kiwi horses were responsible for 63% (44/70) of all eligible trotting stakes races in Australasia last season.
- Half (50%) of all eligible Australian trotting Stakes races were won by Kiwi horses during the 2019-20 season
- 56% of all eligible Group One trotting races in Victoria were won by kiwi horses last season.
- Five individual New Zealand-bred trotters won seven Group One features last season in Australia, including three Group One wins for champion trotter Tornado Valley.