Buy NZ Bred
Winning In Numbers
Ask anyone in the business and they’ll tell you the performance of the New Zealand standardbred both here and across the ditch is enviable. With both pacing and trotting horses raiding the Australian treasure chest, buyers will seek to secure their next champion from New Zealand’s pool of rich bloodstock.
Here we’ve highlighted some of the key achievements of the breed during the 2018-2019 season:
New Zealand-bred standardbreds took out the 2019 Horse of the Year title in three different countires including NZ Horse of the Year Spankem (NZ) (Bettor's Delight), AUS Horse of the Year Tiger Tara (NZ) (Bettor's Delight) & US Horse of the Year Shartin (NZ) (Tintin In America).
Australia & New Zealand – Both Gaits
- New Zealand bred horses claimed more than half (51%) of all eligible stakes races in Australia and New Zealand combined last season.
- In total 263 of the eligible 521 Stakes races in Australasia last season were won by horses bred in New Zealand.
- 63 eligible Group One races were won by New Zealand bred standardbreds in Australasia last season, an impressive 53% strike rate for eligible Group Ones.
- Kiwi standardbreds triumphed in 41% of all Stakes races in Australia last season.
- During the 2018-19 season, kiwi horses claimed 37% of all eligible Group One races in Australia (both gaits).
- Last season, New Zealand was the leading source of eligible Group One winners in Western Australia and Queensland (both gaits).
- In Victoria, NZ standardbreds claimed 33% of Group One eligible features.
- Kiwi horses won 68% of all eligible Stakes races in Western Australia last season, 50% in Queensland, and 35% in Victoria.
- New Zealand-bred horses defended 95% of all Stakes races in New Zealand last season, claiming a total of 33 out of the 36 Group One pacing and trotting races on the calendar.
- New Zealand-bred pacers won 36% of all eligible Group One pacing races in Australia during the 2018-19 season.
- 43% of all eligible Australian pacing Stakes races were won by Kiwi horses during the 2018-19 season.
- 60% of eligible Group One pacing races in Western Australia were won by kiwi horses last season.
- Half of all eligible Group One pacing races in Queensland last season were won by horses bred in New Zealand.
- 42% of all eligible Group One pacing features in NSW, QLD, and WA were won by New Zealand horses during the 2018-19 season.
- Fourteen individual New Zealand-bred pacers won Group One features in Australia last season, including Tiger Tara claiming a hatrick of Group Ones. TheFixer, Our Princess Tiffany, and Ana Malak all dual Group One winners.
- New Zealand-bred trotters won 43% of all eligible Group One trotting races in Australia during the 2018-19 season.
- 42% of all eligible Australian trotting Stakes races were won by Kiwi horses during the 2018-19 season.
- 43% of all eligible Group One trotting races in Victoria were won by kiwi horses last season.
- Six individual New Zealand-bred trotters won Group One features last season in Australia, including four Group One wins for Tornado Valley, and dual Group One wins for Ultimate Stride.